Explorations and Mining Activity
As a first activity realized for the verification of the existed reserves and needs to increase the reserves within the permitted areas and in the whole mineralized area the exploration activities has been pointed as the most important ones from the beginning of such activity in Albania.
Exploration works begin with the verification of the reserves at the Munella ore body extended such work at Lak Roshi ore body, and in the last year at the Karma 2 and Tuçi ore bodies.
Company has realized intensive work for further exploration of the ore bodies. At the areas with the exploitation permit a lot of drilling have been carried out to verify the copper reserves. A part of this, the company already is developing exploration activities for new copper deposits in two more area in Karma and Tuc. Exploration activity currently includes apart of the exploration works at Munella and Lak Roshi deposit, the following copper ore deposits for which the company owns the prospecting –exploration permits:
- Karma deposit (Exploration permit nr.1549, date 12.12.2011 with the surface of mining permit of 1.008 km2 for 3 years, with possibility of extension for one more year). For this area company already applied for the extension of the permitted area to develop exploration activities based on some new results arrived from the geophysical studies.
- Tuçi Lindor deposit (Exploration permit nr.1599, date 22.11.2012 with the surface of mining permit of 2.34 km2 for 3 years, with possibility of extension for one more year).
For the whole Mirdita area has been realized the evaluation of the future potential sites where the company will expand the extracting activities.
Exploitation process at the Munella copper mine
Munella copper mine was the first mine where Beralb ShA begun the investments. The investments have includedopening up the depth, mining workings, development (preparation) and exploitation. After this mine the investments have been focused on the reconstruction of the copper processing plant in Fushe Arres where this ore is treated by flotation.
Mining activity currently includes the following copper mines:
- Munella (Exploitation permit nr.643, date 27.08.2001 with the surface of mining permit of 0.68 km2for 30 years and with possibility of extension for 30 more years),
- Lak Roshi (Exploitation permit nr.642, date 27.08.2001 with the surface of mining permit of 0.09 km2with the addition of the surface permitted area now is 2.98 km2for 30 years and with possibility of extension for 30 more years),
- Karma mine (Exploitation permit nr.1555, date 22.02.2012 with the surface of mining permit of 0.335 km2for 25 years and with possibility of extension for ten more years).
Mining activities is realized with the application of the new exploitation system (backfilling) in order to ensure a higher parameter in exploitation of mineral reserves, their rational exploitation by decreasing the value of dilution and losses at 5 %, at the same time increasing the safety in the working places. This system is used for the first time in Albania from Beralb ShA at the Munella mine.Know More